Matting & Framing
Room: Upper Annex
Apr 14-15, 2012
Meets 10:00 AM-4:00 PM
on Sun Sat
Status: This class is completed
This two-day workshop will teach you how to present your artwork professionally by covering the fundamentals of matting and framing. Learn to cut and bevel, double mat, hinge artwork, attach hanging hardware and more. Students will construct one 8x10 in. frame with glass from start to finish. Students must bring an image to frame that is approximately 2x4 in. to 6x8 in. Supply list available online or sent upon registration.
Instructor -- Eileen Yeager
EILEEN F. YEAGER exhibits her original prints, collages and watercolors in Pennsylvania as well as the Mid Atlantic Region. She has taught Printmaking and Matting & Framing Classes at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts since 1994. She and her photographer husband Ron have taught Matting & Framing Workshops at the Art League School in Alexandria, VA since 1998. She was a member of the Professional Picture Framers Association for 13 years and took classes at their annual conventions. Her framing experience includes running her own Art & Framing Consulting business as well as working locally in a frame shop.
- Welcome to our Matting & Framing Workshop! This is a Synopsis of what you will be learning during these two days, and a Supply List for the class. Since there are many steps in the framing process, plan to complete one 8x10” framing project during class. You will need to bring with you at least one item to fit in that frame (approximately 2 x 4” to 6 x 8”): a Drawing, Photograph, Painting, Postcard, etc. You can bring more than one thing to cut mats for and frame, but keep them on the small side; you are learning to use new equipment and will need practice to perfect your skills.
- WORKSHOP SYNOPSIS
- First morning, you will learn the fundamentals of Matting & Framing including:
- Why we Frame, Design Principles, Archival Materials and Resources/Options .
- We will visit the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts Gallery to see examples of design and framing.
- First afternoon, you will have get hands-on experience in Matting – Measuring and Cutting, Beveling, Single and Double Mats. Customizing with French Lines, Fabric/Paper Covered Mats, Colored Bevels and Painting Bottom Mats will be demonstrated.
- Second morning you will get hands-on experience in Mounting – Hinging or Cold Mounting the artwork to a backing board. Both Archival (reversible) and Non reversible techniques will be demonstrated. We will also discuss Dry Mounting (using a press) and Spray Mounting. Canvas/ Fabric / Needle art Stretching will be demonstrated.
- Second afternoon, you will learn to join both a pre-cut metal frame and a wood frame.
- We continue with Glass Cutting, and finish with Fitting: securing the glass and matted art or canvas into a frame, attaching backing and hanging hardware.
- STUDENT SUPPLY LIST
- * Lunch - You will need to drive to get lunch, so it would be easier to brown bag it.
- * Art, Photograph, Postcard, etc. (6 x 8 ” or smaller) to fit inside an 8 x 10” frame when matted
- * Pencil & Note Paper
- * 8 x 10” Frame – Pre-Cut Metal or Wood, Assembled or Unassembled and ready to join
- (We will need this the second day, if you are unsure about what to buy, I will cover design issues and resources the first morning so you can buy that day after class.)
- * Optional Supplies --1) Tape Measure (If you already own one, please bring it.)
- 2) Mat Knife or Utility Knife and replacement blades (Easiest is one with snap-off blades)
- 3) Thick Metal Ruler(Rigid is best with Hand Held Mat Cutters)(Home Depot/Lowes36”$2-3)
- 4) Mat Cuter - One that you already own or Logan Mat Cutter #4000 (recommended). #4000 has a built-in measuring system which saves you a step. (If you are unsure about what to buy, I‘ll have mat cutters available in class for you to try. These include both Logan and Dexter hand held cutters and Logan and Alto Systems. (If you bring your own mat cutter you can cut more mats. If you use mine you will have to share with others.)
- 5) Blades for your Mat Cutter (5 or more) Most new mat cutters come wit 5 Blades.
- * Materials included in workshop fee: acid free mat board and foam core, both 32" x 20” , 8 x 10 Glass, Mounting Kit, and Misc. Supplies.
- If you are unsure about what supply items to buy call Eileen at (724) 327-7739